I’ve started a new dress. This will be just my second dress, after my lovely grey number.
This new one is more fitted. It is this Burda Style empire line dress, view B.
I didn’t realize that this was a pattern for the ‘petite’. It doesn’t tell you this until you open it up. Luckily for me, at 5ft 3, this means that all the proportions are perfect.
This is my fabric.
Again I seem to have chosen a rather wild print! I’m hoping this dress might be a contender for York races, one of our annual days out in the summer. At least I’ll not get lost in the crowd!
But of course a fitted dress means making a toile.
I cut out on Easter Monday, an American size 14, once I’d had enough sun in the garden. Through the week it’s been a case of a dart here and a seam there, whenever I can get 10 minutes to myself between work, cooking, washing, the gym, more washing, pack ups etc, etc, etc.
Last night I fitted it to Lola, and then with the help of my daughter, to me and then back to the dress form.
To be fair it didn’t need much but the fabric is a stretch cotton so it needs to fit well.
I will really need to pay attention to being precise with the dart placement. These ones around the front matched up pretty well but the ones around the back had wondered off a little. For me this is the beauty of making up a toile. As well as improving on the fit, it makes me aware of the details that I need to take more care over.
I think I’ve cracked it, well as much as I am able. I’m sure there are plenty out there who could advise me on what I also should have done. Please do!
So now onto the fabric. Have a lovely weekend!
Love, Lucie xx