This weekend’s very mundane makeover was another unbeautiful object that appears in most homes across the land.
The ironing board.
It is a rather wide ironing board; best for zooming through work and school shirts and blouses. So, if you can find one, the choice of new ironing board covers is limited. I’ve gone through a number of unlovely covers over the years; it never occurred to me to make one.
So I upgraded this
In brief this is how I did it.
I laid my chosen fabric face down on the floor and placed a thin wadding on top. Laying my ironing board face down, I cut out the fabric and the wadding 5cm larger than the ironing board all the way round.
Then I tacked all the way round to keep the fabric and wadding from moving around as I did the next bit.
Next I opened out one of the folds of some bias binding and pinned it all around the edge of the cover (on the wadding side). I started at the centre of the top straight section of the board cover.
Using my machine I sewed along the ditch like so
Then I trimmed around the edge; both the wadding and the fabric, so it was nice and neat.
I folded the bias over the edge and sewed it down.
It now looked like this
Next job was to thread some butchers twine through the channel I had made with the bias binding.
And with the tacking stitch out, it was done. All ready to lay onto the board and pull the thread tight.
It is a pity an ironing board cover doesn’t lend itself to embellishment but it least now I can dream away a trip around the world whilst doing the ironing.
Total cost for 1/2m of fabric and 1/2m of wadding and 3m of bias binding £8.80.
Love, Lucie xx