I seem to have a great many shirt dress patterns in my collection. I always seem to be so undecided about what pattern to marry to what fabric I end up not doing anything!
Having bought a number of linen blends from Fabworks recently I took the plunge and made up Simplicity 8014.
I made up version C but with the collar
It is described as vintage shirt dress sewing pattern featuring a full length dress with collar and long sleeves, knee length dress with slim or flared skirt, and mini dress with collar and shirt tail hem.
I made up the size 14 in accordance with my bust measurement. Because I’m a little thicker around the waist and hip than the pattern suggests I added in 5mm seam allowance in all these areas.
However, I took the extra allowance straight out again once trying it on, so this is a straight size 14.
I love these buttons I bought in a huge fabric matching haul from Duttons for Buttons in York recently
In this perfectly weighted french navy linen cotton blend from Fabworks it looked a little matronly on me until I took 6 inches off the hem and raised the simple sleeve turn up by 2 inches.
The skirt looks quite sheer in these photos, but I hadn’t thought that when looking in the mirror.
I do like it very much but I think it has ended up as a dress I’d where for hot days at work as opposed to outside drinks at the pub, which is what I had in mind.
I think it’s the sleeves that could do with a little modernising.
I’ve not worn it yet but it’s looking warm towards the end of this week.
I found it a quick simple make but possibly because I have made so many shirts and blouses over the past year or so.
It now fits beautifully with plenty of ease to sit comfortably without distorting the dress across the buttons.
I think due to the nature of the fabric some wear and washing can only improve this garment.
Time will tell.
Love, Lucie xx