So I’ve had a bit of a ‘meh’ relationship with Sew Over It patterns. I’ve 2 very successful ultimate blouses in rotation in my wardrobe but I did have to do a lot of adjustments to the shoulders and back/back neck. My pussy bow blouse was the same, just a little constrained across the back and arms.
And then it came to me. Maybe I was being a little optimistic (hopeful!) in my sizing choice. Maybe I was veering towards the smaller size instead of sizing up.
So, keen not to waste a pattern I bought last year, that’s what I did with the Meredith Dress and, boy, did it pay off!!!!!
This is the Meredith wrap over dress by Sew over It. My measurements (35, 30, 38) put me nearer a SOI size 10 (35, 28, 38) but knowing my previous issues (I’m quite broad across the back and shoulders) I went for the straight size 12.
I was also keen for the ‘wrap’ to be generous. I’d just spent a day in an older Boden wrap dress and was forever fiddling with the wrap across the bust, even with a safety pin in charge.
Further more I was after a more generous fit than a ‘stretched to fit’ look.
The dress comes with long or elbow (weird!) length sleeves but I copied the length of my Boden short sleeves onto the sleeve head pattern.
The pattern advises you to interface one piece of the neck binding with stretch interfacing if using very stretchy jersey. I, for some reason, interfaced both. I have got away with it, but next I would only do one side.
It was an incredibly quick make with great instructions. Just what I needed. I used my normal sewing machine to check fit at the crucial stages and then overlocked the seams. My cover stitch machine behaved beautifully on the hems.
As a note I would recommend the Stitch Sisters cover-stitch course if you are struggling with your cover stitch machine. It was a cover stitch game changer for me!
Taking care that the notches on the main pattern pieces and neck binding lined up ensured I got the right amount of tautness with the neck binding piece when attaching, especially around the neck and across the chest.
The only adjustment I made was to take in 5- 10mm at the top and front of where the sleeve head met the shoulder and the front panel. This just lifted the top of the sleeve right onto my shoulder and took out a little excess fabric at the front. It was just perfect across the back.
At 5ft 3 I don’t normally do this length but I really like it and it might become my new normal (!)
I’ve worn it all day at a BBQ with a fitted denim jacket and a pair of wedges and didn’t have to play with it once. A real result!!
The fabric is a really lovely quality viscose jersey bought last year in the SOI sale when they were restructuring. I’ve tried to find it again since to make a note of the weight as it is pretty perfect for this type of dress, but to no avail.
So I now have a lovely comfy frock to wear at all those sewing meet ups we are still dreaming of in the future.
Until next time.
Love, Lucie xx