Like many, I have been inspired recently both by the Great British Sewing Bee and of course by all you blogging dressmakers out there.
I wondered where I should start. I wanted to make something simple, something from my stash, something I needed, and something I would enjoy wearing.
So this weekend I came up with this.
It is a simple nightdress, the pattern of which I copied from one of my favourites cotton ones that had been washed so much it was indecent due to its translucent properties!
I couldn’t find anything in the shops. Too matronly, too twee, too young or with some daft character on the front. I wanted something that I could wonder out onto a balcony in without shocking my neighbour on an upcoming holiday.
I know it is simple but it has French seams and matching bias binding trimming the top and forming the straps, and pin tucks under the bust.
I made it from a dress I had never worn. I think I had fallen for the fabric rather than the cut of the dress. But I did make it from scratch though, unpicking all the seams first.
I won’t be modelling it for you!
Simple though it is, I’m very pleased with it.