Minerva are running a #sewnwithnewlook challenge during the month of January. The Minerva Ambassadors were invited to choose a pattern to make up.
Not being a great user of New Look patterns, finding their pattern covers quite un-inspirational, I chose something simple but with something where I might pick up a new skill.
Hence this excellent little V neck top.
This is Newlook6644
I was initially drawn to the trousers, and I still am, but made up the top as I had some fine drapey knits in my stash that I had been searching for a suitable pattern for.
It is a simple pull-on v-neck top with long sleeves and waistband, designed for stretch knits only.
It is cropped, which is a new silhouette for me, and a ‘proper’ V neck. A proper V neck in that the neck band meets in the bottom of the V in a vertical seam.
I had always thought this was difficult to pull off successfully without a pucker at the bottom but the v neck neckband went in very easily, much to my surprise. The only thing I changed to the method was to use some iron-on tape before I stayed-stitched the ‘V’ in the main fabric. This was particularly important with this being a fairly loosely woven knit and was a tip I picked up from The Sew House Seven Tabor V Neck Sweater. I think the trick is to be brave enough to snip right up to the V shaped stay stitching.
I made the size in accordance with bust measurement. My fabrics were a white viscose linen knit from Discovery Knitting, manufacturers in the UK, and a slinky loose weave slightly stretchy grey knit that I’ve had for over 5 years and probably from Abakhan.
I think this would make a great T shirt pattern for the summer.
A super quick make on the overlocker apart from the initial setting in of the neckband.
And one I would have never considered.
Love, Lucie x